How to Fix a Crack on a Flat-Top Stove
How to Fix a Crack on a Flat-Top Stove. Many manufacturers produce flat-top ceramic stoves, including Whirlpool, General Electric and Maytag. Stovetops are available in both electric and gas formats and usually have a variety of cooking options. A ceramic cooktop requires a special type of cleaning to help protect and prevent marks and scratches, but if the cooktop already has a crack, it will require some careful repair steps, using tools available at most hardware or home retail stores.
- Ceramic cooktop cleaner
- Ceramic cooktop polishing cream
- Clean cloths
- Soft sponge
Apply a thin layer of ceramic cream cleaner to a damp cleaning sponge and wipe the cooktop surface. Do not use harsh sponges. Follow with a clean, damp cloth to wipe away cleaner residue.
Apply ceramic polishing cream into the crack and work it in well, using a clean, damp cloth.
Work the cream into the crack until the crack is filled. Allow the surface to dry thoroughly before using the cooktop.
- Contact a service professional if the crack is too large to fill or is located on or in a surface heating element, as the unit may not be safe to use and professional repair may be necessary.
- Whirlpool: Ceramic Glass Cooktop Cleaning
- Maytag: Electric Cooktop Use & Care Guide
- GE Appliances: Cooktop User Manual